Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Truth About Me Drinking, The Truth About Me Sober

The Truth About Me Drinking

At first alcohol gave me a way to be social, pass the time, and feel good about myself. I am not exactly sure when my need to feel socially accepted gave in and my need to drink took over. I do know that I changed from being a happy, social drinker to one who began drinking alone. I became angry when the alcohol would run out. I started constantly worrying about how I was going to get that next drink. I began feeling paranoid all the time. I allowed my need to drink ruin relationships with my friends, my kids, and my wife. I became a social introvert. Had any of you met me while I was drinking and said, "hi" or "how's it going?" I would have pretended not to hear you and look the other way. So I guess the truth about me drinking is this: I was angry, mean, bitter, withdrawn, and the world's biggest asshole.

The Truth About Me Sober

To be honest I had to ask around about how I was supposed to write this assignment. It's been so long since I was sober that I can't even remember who I was before I started drinking. As I write this, I have 25 days of sobriety under my belt. From what I can tell, I am more emotional now that I have no way of hiding my emotions in a bottle. I can also say that I am more open to making new friendships than I have been in a long time. I got so good at hiding my problem with alcohol that I don't remember the last time I introduced myself to someone I didn't know. I like being sober. Even though the sun isn't as bright as it used to be when I would wake up still drunk or hungover it is nice to look into the mirror and not be ashamed of what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment