Monday, December 19, 2011

Ten Triggers and Ten Coping Skills

I was asked to list ten triggers that increased my craving to drink in the past and how I would deal with them in my sobriety. I will list a trigger followed by the coping skill I will use to stay sober.

Worrying about what other people are doing.
Remind myself that I cannot change people, places, or things.

Dealing with boredom.
Play my guitar, read a book, exercise.

Having a stressful day at work.
Talk it over with my carpool buddy on the way home from work.

Thinking about the end of my marriage.
Attend AA meetings and talk to people in similar situations.

When my daughter has a meltdown.
Go outside and gather my thoughts before trying to calm her down.

Thinking about drinking.
Find a sponsor and CALL THEM!

Our annual "unbirthday" party.
Make sure that I have a sober friend there.

Thinking about my daughter in Texas.
Call her, send her a text, or write her an email.

Watching other people drinking.
Remind myself that I lack the ability to drink like a normal person.

Being stressed out about my finances.
Educate myself on how to better budget my money.




No comments:

Post a Comment