Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What Shall We Do Today?


"I like whiskey. I always did and that is why I never drink it." ~ Robert E. Lee


Today is day fifty-two. As my mind begins to clear each day, it doesn't seem like it has been that long ago, but I suppose the calendar does not lie. Today was also the first day back to work from my disability (all though I took a vacation day).

I have had a bad habit of waking up early since my time in the Marine Corps, so this morning I set reminders for myself. First make the coffee (no reminder needed)! Second, say the serenity prayer and ask God to do his will in me today. Third, read from the daily reflections for A. A. members. Fourthly, read from the big book and reflect on what I read. I did all I had set out to do and looked at the clock on the DVR, 6 a.m.. Oh boy, I still had the whole day ahead of me and no plans.

I made chicken rice soup for breakfast and started the dishwasher. I washed clothes. I picked up toys. I vacuumed. I hung the clothes on the line. I looked at the clock on the DVR, 9 a.m.. Still had the better part of the day.

I tried to call my parents to let them know I finished my treatment, no answer. I tried watching a movie. I tried watching another movie. We ate turkey sandwiches and chicken rice soup for lunch. I tried to take a nap. I looked at the clock on the DVR, 2:30 p.m..

I wanted to go to a meeting, I didn't want to walk. I wanted the van to be fixed, it isn't. It is going to cost another $550. I don't have $550. I won't have $550 until February 3rd. We told the mechanic. He said that's fine as long as we pay him on the third. I wish more people were like our mechanic. I wish I was like our mechanic. I still wanted to go to a meeting. I still didn't want to walk.

I have a very low tolerance for boredom. Today was quite boring, but I didn't drink. In the past vacation days were excuses to drink all day. Today I learned to play two new songs on the guitar. I read. I cooked. I cleaned. I didn't take a nap or go to a meeting, but most importantly, I didn't drink.

1 comment:

  1. You did so much. I know it can be hard to finish the day with unfinished business so to speak, and yet you did. Hopefully, you'll make your meeting tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete