Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Want Ad for a Higher Power

This was a three part assignment given to me due to my lack of a Higher Power.

Part I- The Ad

Spiritually dead male, age 36 in search of a Higher Power to restore me to sanity. Must be loving, compassionate, and able to forgive my past mistakes. Must be willing to guide me now and into the future, gracefully. Must be available late at night when I think a drink will fix the messes I have made. If this is you please knock on my heart's door. I will be waiting.

Part II- My Higher Power's response to my ad

In response to your ad, this is God. I have already forgiven you. That is why I sent my son you die for you and your sins. You once believed but then you turned your back on me. I never let you leave my sights. I have been with you always. I was with you all those days and nights while you were struggling. I was right beside you. You just chose not to look my way. I am here for you now like I have always been. The door to my heart is always open, come on in.

Part III- My reply to my Higher Power. (It took several days for me to reply back).

Hey God, it's me, Jimmy. I'd like to thank you for your quick response to my ad. I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you, but I really had to do a lot of soul searching before I could figure out how to reply back to You. I know I have been hiding in the shadows for quite some time now but I also know I have a disease. A disease that is lethal, physically, mentally, and spiritually. I suppose if I look back on the progression of my disease, my spirituality died some time ago, followed by my physical being. I gained weight from the alcohol I consumed and watched my blood pressure shoot through the roof. At the end of my use, my mental state was far from anything I'd call normal. I suppose the oppisite is the same for my recovery. My head cleared from the alcohol, rational thinking quickly returned. My blood pressure came into check and I have been losing weight steadily, but my spirituality is still lagging. I know it's not at the place it once used to be and I hope in time it will be back there. I also know from studying the second and third steps that recovery will not work without the faith of a Higher Power (to restore me to sanity). So, that being said, I put my trust in You, that what I have been through is a part of Your greater plan and it is only with Your help that I can recover.

1 comment: